speaking with my HBase hat on instead of my Hadoop hat, when the
Hadoop project publishes that there's a CVE but does not include a
maintenance release that mitigates it for a given minor release line,
we assume that means the Hadoop project is saying that release line is
EOM and should be abandoned.

I don't know if that's an accurate interpretation in all cases.

With my Hadoop hat on, I think downstream projects should use the
interfaces we say are safe to use and those interfaces should not
include dependencies where practical. I don't know how often a CVE
comes along for things like our logging API dependency, for example.
But downstream folks should definitely not rely on dependencies we use
for internal service, so I'm surprised that a version change for Jetty
would impact downstream.

--
busbey