On Fri, 18 Dec 2020 at 23:29, Konstantin Shvachko <shv.had...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hey Steve,
>
> Thanks for the references. I was reading but still need to understand how
> exactly this applies to msync.

mainly: pull it up and it becomes part of the broader API, so needs to be
specified in a way which can be understood by users and for implementors of
others stores: to give their own stores the same semantics.

What does the HDFS one do?

> Will come up with a plan and post it on a new jira.
> Will make sure to create it under HADOOP and ping Hadoop Common list for
> visibility.

thanks

> You are right about ViewFS. The impl should make sure it calls msync() on
> all mount points that enabled observer reads.

That's the kind of issue this process aims to resolve. Another is to
identify where we have HDFS-layer "quirks" and at least document them (e.g.
how hdfs streams are thread safe, rename isn't Posix, ...) and list what we
know breaks if you don't re-implement