1) You have to start and restart
2) Yes that is how it would get the new directory. However changing the directory means it wont be able to find any of your old data. If you don't want to start over from scratch you will want to stop dfs then copy the files over to the new data directory and then restart it. 3) Doing the namenode -format will clean up the directory on the name node and make everything good to go with no data in dfs. However you'll have to go to the datanodes and clean out their data directories. If you leave data in the directory on the datanodes they will be unable to join with the namenode.

This isn't the most technical explanation but hopefully it helps.
~Jeff

Sean Bigdatafun wrote:
Can someone tell me what "hadoop namenode -format" does under the hood?

I have started my HDFS cell with the following configuration.
-------------------
 dfs.data.dir
    /opt/hadoop/data

Overtime, I want to add another directory as the data.dir, how can I achieve it? 1) Can I simply edit "dfs.data.dir" in the hdfs-site.xml without stopping my cell?

2) If 1) is not legitimate, can I run "stop-dfs.sh", then do 1) and then "start-dfs.sh"?

3) My last question here is what "hadoop namenode -format" does. If I run it on my Namenode, does it clean up the data.dir? and do I need to manually clean up the data.dir on Datanode?

Thanks,
Sean

--
Jeff Whiting