I believe for most people, the answer is "Yes"

-----Original Message-----
From: Nathan Rutman <nrut...@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 09:41:37
To: <hdfs-user@hadoop.apache.org>
Subject: Re: HDFS without Hadoop: Why?

Ok.  Is your statement, "I use HDFS for general-purpose data storage because it
does this replication well", or is it more, "the most important benefit of
using HDFS as the Map-Reduce or HBase backend fs is data safety."  In other
words, I'd like to relate this back to my original question of the broader
usage of HDFS - does it make sense to use HDFS outside of the special
application space for which it was designed?