From: Dhruba Borthakur <dhr...@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: HDFS without Hadoop: Why?
To: hdfs-user@hadoop.apache.org
Date: Wednesday, February 2, 2011, 9:00 PM

The Namenode uses around 160 bytes/file and 150 bytes/block in HDFS. This is a
very rough calculation.
dhruba

On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 5:11 PM, Dhodapkar, Chinmay <chinm...@qualcomm.com>
wrote:

What you describe is pretty much my use case as well. Since I don’t know how
big the number of files could get , I am trying to figure out if there is a
theoretical
 design limitation in hdfs…..

From what I have read, the name node will store all metadata of all files in
the RAM. Assuming (in my case), that a file is less than the configured block
size….there
 should be a very rough formula that can be used to calculate the max number of
files that hdfs can serve based on the configured RAM on the name node?

Can any of the implementers comment on this? Am I even thinking on the right
track…?

Thanks Ian for the haystack link…very informative indeed.

-Chinmay