The AvatarNode does use zookeeper (but since this is not directly related to
Apache HDFS code, if u have more questions, please send it to me directly).

The latest AvatarNode code is in
https://github.com/facebook/hadoop-20-append/tree/master/src/contrib/highavailability/src/java/org/apache/hadoop/hdfs

thanks,
dhruba