Evert,

With the default behavior, every block request is handed a storage
device in a round robin fashion. So yes, parallel writes should be
well spread over the configured amount of disks. But that's not to say
that the file is perfectly distributed across the DNs as you describe.
The DNs are chosen randomly for writes (if no local one is available).

Regd. MR, I do not believe it does any such optimization right now (in
fact, the MR code is quite FS-agnostic). Right now, tasks are run on
nodes where blocks are located but metadata about which disk the block
may reside on is not maintained by the NN, so MR can't naturally know
this to do anything about. This would be good to discuss, however
(Search or file a new JIRA?)

--
Harsh J