2011/9/7 kang hua <kanghua...@msn.com>:
> Thanks my friend!
> please allow me to ask more question about detail thinks!
> 1 yes, I can use hadoop fs -tail or -cat xxx to see that file content, But
> how can I get that file real size in other process if namenode is not change
> ?  I real want is to read the date in tail  of that file.

You can open the file and then use an API on the DFSInputStream class
to find the length. I don't recall the name of the API, but if you
look in there, you should see it.

> 2 why "when I reboot hdfs, I can see that file's content that I flushed
> again by "hadoop fs -ls xxx" "

On restart, the namenode triggers block synchronization, and the
up-to-date length is determined.

> 3 In append mode.  close file and open it with append mode again and again .
> real dataspace is normally increase, but nodename  show dfs used space
> increase to fast. it is a bug ?

Might be a bug, yes.

> 4 which version of hdfs that append is no bug ?

0.21, which is buggy in other aspects. So, no stable released version
has a working append() call.

In truth I've never seen a _good_ use case for
append-to-an-existing-file. Usually you can do just as well by keeping
the file open and periodically hflushing, or rolling to a new file
when you want to add more records to an existing dataset.

-Todd