did you build it on top of zmq? i really don't see the need for people
reinventing the low level rcp stuff over and over again. zmq comes with
baked in request-response, pub-sub, and pipeline (distributed processing)
communication. once you rely on protobuf + zmq for the rpc is it trivial to
add clients in other languages, i had java, R and python talking to each
other with minimal effort.

for rcp the comparison of speed is a bit of a moot point, since all the
latency will be in the communication, not so much in the serialization, i
suspect. but once you communicate using protobuf it also becomes really
tempting to store in hadoop using protobuf instead of
writables/sequencefiles, and from what i have heard (i have not tested this
myself) it is a good deal slower in that situation.