The balancer only balances between datanodes. This means the new
drives won't get used until you start writing new data to them. If you
want to balance the drives on a node, you need to

1) copy a bunch of block files from the old drives to the new drives
2) shutdown the datanode
3) delete the old block files
4) configure the datanode to see the new drives
5) start the datanode

-Joey

--
Joseph Echeverria