On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 4:51 PM, Chandrasekar <chandruseka...@gmail.com>wrote:

>       In which file should i specify all this information about
> nameservices and the list of namenodes?

hdfs-site.xml is the appropriate place, since it is hdfs-specific
configuration.

      If there are multiple namenodes, then which one should i specify in
> core-site.xml as fs.defaultFS?

core-site.xml is the right place for fs.defaultFS.

Given you have multiple namespaces from in federation setup, fs.defaultFS
should point to ViewFileSystem for a unified view of the namespaces to the
clients. There is an open bug HDFS-2558 to track this. I will get to this
as soon as I can.

Regards,
Suresh