What are the thoughts on hdfsproxy ?
http://hadoop.apache.org/hdfs/docs/r0.21.0/hdfsproxy.html

Will this be useful in my scenario ?

-----Original Message-----
From: Stuti Awasthi
Sent: Wednesday, February 15, 2012 12:28 PM
To: hdfs-user@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: RE: Security in Hadoop-1.0.0

Thanks Harsh,

My usecase is : there will be multiple users which will connect to HDFS cluster
using an application for all filesystem operation. Normally if user login to
app, their permissions on HDFS cluster will be handle by the application front.
For any user who wants to connect to hdfs cluster directly without application,
I want to provide a security layer using LDAP in between so that only
authenticated users can access the cluster.

Since there will be n numbers of users, I do not want to add them to unix
groups. I hope this clears out my scenario.

Thanks for providing links and explaining them in detail. I will read more and
try to implement this at my end.

Stuti Awasthi