I think mapred.tasktracker.map.tasks.maximum sets the number of map
tasks and not slots.
Keith, so that means per core, if I specify the maximum number of map
tasks it can host, whether all the maps per slot will run parallely or
they execute one after the other?. I understand that maps that are
scheduled on different cores can run parallely.

Thanks,
Kartheek.