From: Suresh Srinivas [mailto:sur...@hortonworks.com]
Sent: Wednesday, September 19, 2012 02:38 PM
To: hdfs-user@hadoop.apache.org <hdfs-user@hadoop.apache.org>
Subject: Re: How does decommissioning work

Bryan,

I am going to assume that you know about replication factor per file, block,
replicas etc.

Nodes are marked for decommissioned by adding it to excludes file (btw you mean
dfs.hosts.exclude right?).
HDFS marks these datanodes as decommissioning. HDFS no longer counts those
replicas towards the replication factor. This results in increased number of
under replicated blocks. HDFS starts replicating this under replicated blocks,
preferring decommissioning node as the source as much as possible.

At this time, the decommissioning nodes are used reads only. Decommissioning
completes when replication completes and replicas from those nodes are no more
needed. The node is then marked decommissioned.

Not sure I answered your questions.

Regards,
Suresh

On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 4:01 PM, Bryan Beaudreault