If, for your author who signs himself "Vis," you have a non-standard romanization
indicating "Vais", you put "Vais."  But it doesn't count if you have a non-standard
romanization indicating "Vais" for some other author who signs himself "Vis."

In this case I couldn't determine that Mr. Karsenti was established in the old catalog
from a non-standard romanization for him--in fact, he probably wasn't, because if he
had been, they'd have said so.  His romanization was probably chosen on the basis of
all the other authors called "Karsenti/y" in non-standard romanization.  But that was
long enough ago that our current rules weren't in force.

Joan

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 3/8/2004 9:59:10 AM >>>
I accept and agree with this ruling, but why then Vais (with one Yod) is
romanized as Vis although we all know that the real name is pronounced as
Vais or why not to transcribe it as Weiss or Weisz or other romanized form
of the name as it appears in Reliable Sources (not on CNN)

Yossi