At 11:29 AM 4/7/2005 -0400, you wrote:
I was a bit worried about how some libraries say "Mishnah verurah" instead of "Mishnah berurah"
--that would entail quite a cleanup! But it seems "Mishnah verurah" is not biblical.
Can anyone tell me what it does come from, and if "verurah" is in any powerful sense "better" than "berurah"?

Joan

Sorry. I think I am responsible for romanizing the title Mishnah verurah.
I was taught that the rule of dropping dagesh from bet, gimel, dalet, kaf, pe and tav
after a vowel sound marked by alef he vav yod
applies in proper Hebrew in all times and places, not solely in Biblical Hebrew.
Is there some authoritative source that cancelled that spelling and pronunciation?

I would expect that when our sages used phrases such as "halakhah verurah u-mishnah verurah"
in Talmud Bavli Shabbat
and in Midrash Eliyahu Zuta
and in Yalkut Shimoni, even though they were widely scattered in time and location,
all of them were using the dagesh-free form vet and none of them using the careless slang form bet,
as in Mishnah Berurah.

I must have missed the ruling that made this obsolete in all post-Biblical Hebrew.
Clifford Miller