Dear Group,

The Libray of Congress has submitted a proposal for simplification of rules to the Joint Steering Committee for Revision of AACR3 (a response to part 1 of draft of AACR3 [now RD])} :"The principle, stated in LC’s response to the part I draft of AACR3, of transcribing what is presented in the resource without modification is also incorporated in this revision."

 In light of our recent discussion on transcription of Hebrew dates at the R&S Cataloging Commitee meeting I suggest that you look at the recommendation for A.14E. If you have comments on this, please send this to me by July 13. I will send a response to the Joint Steering Committee.
Thanks, Heidi

A.14E

A1.4E. Date.

a) For published resources, transcribe the date in which the resource was published as it appears on the resource, usually only as year(s).

i) Date not in Western-style Arabic numerals.  Add the year(s) in such numerals in square brackets as needed for comprehensibility.

ii) Date not of the Gregorian or Julian calendar.  Follow it with the year(s) of the Gregorian or Julian calendar in square brackets.

iii) No publication date on the resource.  Record a date in the following order of preference: copyright date (indicated as such; use the latest if there is more than one); date of manufacture (indicated as such); supplied date in square brackets; approximate date in square brackets.

            b) For unpublished resources or assembled collections, record the date of production or assembly.

Heidi G. Lerner
Hebraica/Judaica Cataloger
Catalog Dept.
Stanford University Libraries