Hi,

I'm working on the record for Azila Reisenberger's From Here to the Cape of Good Hope. Question about romanizing the country's name: I see in both RLIN and OCLC that libraries have romanized it as Kaif ha-Tikvah ha-Tovah. Why is the double-yud of "Cape" (קייפ) not romanized "e" (as in Ke) considering the nikud under the first yud is (?) a tzere? And why is the peh not romanized as "p" (as in Kep), considering that the letter is given as a regular peh, not peh-sofit? In other words, why is it not "Kep" instead of "Kaif"? (That is the spelling used in Harvard's OCLC record)

Thanks, Jasmin

--
Jasmin Nof
Judaica and Hebraica Cataloger