in for cataloging services LC ceases to provide?

Joan
This is not an official communication from the Library of Congress

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 05/15/06 1:33 PM >>>
Dear safranim,
This letter was sent to the Library of Congress from the Africana Librarians
Council. I am certain that our membership and the institutions that we
represent share similar concerns.
Thanks, Heidi Lerner

Heidi G. Lerner
Hebraica/Judaica Cataloger
Catalog Dept.
Stanford University Libraries
Stanford, CA  94305-6004
ph: 650-725-9953
fax: 650-725-1120
e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
----- Original Message -----
From: Margaret Hughes
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ; [EMAIL PROTECTED] ; [EMAIL PROTECTED] ; [EMAIL
PROTECTED] ; [EMAIL PROTECTED] ; [EMAIL PROTECTED] ; [EMAIL PROTECTED] ; [EMAIL
PROTECTED] ; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, May 15, 2006 10:08 AM
Subject: [Fwd: ALC letter sent to LC re SARs decision]

Dear ALC colleagues - You'll find below a text version of the
letter from the Africana Librarians Council sent to the Library
of Congress regarding the 20 April 2006 decision to cease creating
series authority records. [snip]
Yours, Lauris

TEXT OF LETTER

Beacher J.E. Wiggins
Director for Acquisitions and Bibliographic Access
Library of Congress
Washington, DC 20540-4300

Dear Director Wiggins,

The membership of the Africana Librarians Council - the
organization of professional librarians working in African
studies and a sponsored organization of the African Studies
Association (U.S.) - has requested that I notify you
regarding our concern over the Library of Congress's 20
April 2006 decision to cease creating series authority
records and providing controlled series access in
bibliographic records.

Series control, as with all aspects of bibliographic
control, is critically important in the ever-expanding
world of book publishing in Africa. As with many industries
in developing countries, African book publishing often
seems unsystematic, with books typically printed in short
runs and reprinted several years later exhibiting changes
in bibliographic elements. We see any erosion in
bibliographic control as harmful to the Library of
Congress's mission to collect research materials from
African countries and also to its Cooperative Acquisition
Program partnerships with U.S. research libraries.

We observe that African studies readers in the U.S. rely
upon series names as brands of quality. Several major
African publishers have made formal arrangements with U.S.
and other publishers to co-publish, reprint, or distribute
their titles outside Africa. To navigate through this
confusing and duplicative literature, bibliographers,
acquisitions librarians, and - most important - readers,
especially scholarly readers, need controlled series names.

Your annual report for FY2005 noted that the Library of
Congress has moved to improve the cataloging capabilities
of its overseas offices. The Library of Congress's overseas
offices serve as a major acquisitions source for U.S.
research libraries. Your achievement - including direct
inputting into Voyager - will accelerate access to overseas
acquisitions for American readers, as the bibliographic
records created by the overseas offices are becoming
available to Library of Congress Cooperative Acquisition
Program partners even as we unpack the shipping boxes!

Preserving the privileges of overseas office cataloging
staff to produce authority records takes advantage of in-
country headings research, which replaces costly
transatlantic communication. Continuing the practice brings
economic benefits by reducing State-side workloads - both
at the Library of Congress and among those U.S. research
libraries building African collections with one or no
Africanist cataloger - with no or negligible fiscal
increases. And most important, it would strengthen the
professionalization of librarians in developing countries.

We hope that you will lead a re-examination of the Library
of Congress's series authority decision. We ask also that
you avoid making similar decisions in the future without
consulting your partners in the Library of Congress's
Program for Cooperative Cataloging, and your professional
colleagues in the Asian, African and Middle Eastern Section
of the Association of College and Research Libraries and in
the Cataloging & Classification Section Committee on
Cataloging Asian & African Material of the Association for
Library Collections & Technical Services.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly to discuss the Africana
Librarians Council's position on this matter.

Yours sincerely,
Lauris Olson
Chair, Africana Librarians Council
Also, Social Sciences Bibliographer, University Libraries,
University of Pennsylvania

--

Lauris Olson
Social Sciences Bibliographer   e: [EMAIL PROTECTED]