Colleagues,

Caroline is correct that the policies and practices for applying non-roman
script at LC do vary by language/script to some extent.

She is also correct that the *general* principle applied in assigning Hebraic
script parallel fields for controlled access points (name headings, but not
topical subjects) is to supply what is it found on the item.  The LC practice
for other languages/scripts involves constructing a parallel field which
mirrors the authorized heading in form and structure (including additions and
qualifiers.)

LC's consideration of existing policies and practices is taking into account
these various practices and the rationales for them as we seek to develop new
policies to govern the provision of non-roman data in authority records. Since
the provision of references is guided by AACR2, and many headings will have
references added in multiple scripts, there is a strong interest in developing
uniform policies.

There are many vexing issues to be addressed in order to establish these new
policies, including when and in which language or script to supply certain
qualifiers and additions to names.

One especially exciting development is exploration into developing automated
tools to pre-populate exisiting authority records with non-roman forms
extracted from bibliographic records.

As Caroline stated, your input--independently or collectively (through the AJL
Cataloging Committee)--is welcome, via the PCC or directly to LC.

Lenore

>>> "Miller, Caroline" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 02/01/07 3:51 PM >>>
All,

I attended the joint CONSER/BIBCO session at ALA Midwinter in Seattle
where Ann Della Porta of LC mentioned the ability to add non-roman data
to authority records in both Voyager (LC's ILS) and in OCLC.  Now a
policy decision will need to be made.

I want to point out that there are differences in practices among the
non-roman cataloging teams at LC with regard to what original script
data is added to their bib records.  For example, in Chinese records
catalogers set up the parallel 1xx field for the original Chinese script
to exactly reflect the authorized romanized form in the 1xx, including
the $q and the date.  From what I remember of LC's Hebrew records, the
original Hebrew 1xx is transcribed as found on the piece (please correct
me if I'm wrong).  Obviously, there needs to be some harmonization and
coordination among LC non-roman cataloging teams and in widespread NACO
practice.

I'm happy to take any recommendations from the AJL Cataloging Committee
directly to the PCC Policy Committee (I'm a member) so that the PCC
Standing Committee on Standards can make an informed recommendation to
CPSO.  Please let me know how I can help.

Caroline Miller
Chair, PCC Standing Committee on Training
and former member of the AJL Cataloging Committee

Caroline R. Miller
Head, Monographic Cataloging and
     Authority/Database Maintenance Sections
UCLA Library Cataloging & Metadata Center
Charles E. Young Research Library

[EMAIL PROTECTED]