I've been consulting the MARC21 Bibliographic Format field list online, looking
especially at the 024 field--"Other Standard Identifier" (other than ISBN or
ISSN, I think that name means).  Most of the possibilities I see given for this
field are "international" codes of one kind or another.  The dana-kod is a
purely Israeli number, given only to books published in Israel, at least as far
as I know.  I don't see an appropriate MARC field for recording such a number,
unless you want to code it as "unspecified" and give a subfield identifying it,
which seems like considerable trouble to go to.  There are numbers like this in
ISBN barcodes for U.S. books too, and we just don't record them.

If you really want to record a dana-kod, I guess you could instead put it in a
500 note for "other numbers borne by the item."

Joan

The url is http://www.loc.gov/marc/bibliographic/ecbdlist.html

>>> Robert Talbott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 03/28/07 5:01 PM >>>
Dear Heb-NACO Reflector:

I know nothing about this, and have to ask:

Why the heck don't we include dana-kod numbers in our bib records?

Befuddled in Berkeley