Dear colleagues,

I heard back from some of you and the responses were mixed about preferences. Meanwhile, Linda Silver wrote back and said that if we try to meet Sunday afternoon, the only rooms available will be those dominated by 12-seat rectangular tables. If we meet from 9 to 11pm, on the other hand, we can have a larger room with more seating. I also think this is our best bet for getting 2 consecutive hours (which we're not obligated to use, of course, but we probably will, and it's good to have).

So I think we should stick with the 9 to 11 slot.

--Daniel

Dear colleagues,

Several of you commented last year that the meeting schedule for the RAS Cataloging committee in Phoenix was awkward (especially for those with jet lag): one half-hour on Sunday, 9-9:30pm, and another half-hour on Monday, 9:30-10pm (though we extended it). In previous years we had met on Sundays from 4 to 5 pm, following the 2-4pm "RLIN Users Group" meeting.

I asked RAS President Elliot Gertel if we could have our meeting time changed back to what it was. He forwarded my request to Cleveland Program Chair Linda Silver. Linda tells me that "all of the committee meetings [i.e., including ours] will be scheduled from 9 - 11 PM on Sunday, June 22, after the keynote speaker." But she's willing to investigate an "alternate time" on Sunday afternoon.

I have four questions/comments for the group ...

1. Do people (especially official members of the committee, see: http://tinyurl.com/3crpgz ) feel strongly that we should *not* meet from 9-11pm? Personally I'm OK with it. I like the idea of having the full two hours to get through our agenda, and I don't mind the lateness. Also, if other committees are meeting at that time, I'm not sure why we would have special objections.

2. Is there really still going to be an "RLIN Users Group" from 2-4? I suppose a combination of Connexion User issues and RLG Program updates will take it's place. But if it doesn't, maybe we could borrow some of that time slot to get two full hours on Sunday afternoon?

3. I'm planning to ask for an internet connection and possibly a computer and projector. I figure this could be helpful for online demos, websites, databases, etc., that pertain to our discussions, but is it worth the added equipment charge to AJL? I may just bring my own laptop, though it's hard for a large group to view the monitor.

4. I realize it's still early, but if you have suggested agenda items, could you add them to the RAS CAT wiki site? Here's the draft agenda page I created: http://rascat.pbwiki.com/Agenda+June+2008. Just click the "Edit page" button toward the top, and add text the way you would in MS Word or WordPerfect.

Thanks!

--Daniel
Chair, RAS Cataloging Committee

Daniel Lovins