Question 1:  As for this, our intention for the future is to follow the
guidelines for constructing nonroman references in the authority file also when
we're creating parallel access fields in bibliographic records.  I think--we
haven't really discussed this.  We're hoping desperately that OCLC will agree
soon that we don't HAVE to create parallel access fields in bibliographic
records much longer.

Question 2:  So far I haven't heard complaints about this, so we haven't
responded to them.  Of course even if we change our practice in making
bibliographic access points, the huge body of already-created records will have
varying practices, and there will certainly be no time to "correct" them, even
on an as-encountered basis.

Joan

>>> Nancy Sack <s...@hawaii.edu> 6/28/2009 7:09 PM >>>
Joan, et al.,

Thanks for confirming that the RI exception is not meant to exempt
nonroman references from the rule that subfields must be entered under
catalog-entry forms. But regarding the advisability of continuing that
practice, I have two questions:

1. Don't we want the parallel headings we use in bib records to match
*something* in their corresponding authority records?

2. Does no one else mind that a search for a term in a nonroman script
retrieves a see reference and also a bunch of bib records (filing under
the see reference)?

If I'm missing something obvious, please let me know.

Thanks.

Nancy