----- Forwarded Message -----
From: "Adam L. Schiff" <asch...@u.washington.edu>
To: pccl...@listserv.loc.gov
Sent: Monday, December 14, 2009 1:09:45 PM GMT -08:00 US/Canada Pacific
Subject: [PCCLIST] 034 $2 codes can now be used

PCC folks,

I sent this announcement out to our catalogers at UW, but thought it might
also be helpful to other NACO folks out there, so I am sharing it with you
too:

For those of you who create name headings for geographic places
(jurisdictions such as cities, towns, neighborhoods, provinces, etc.),
since August we have been able to include coded geographic coordinates in
MARC authority field 034.  LC has now defined a number of source codes
that can be used in 034 $2, and as of November 30, we can now use these
codes in authority records.

The list of codes can be found in the "MARC Code List: PART VII: Other Sources"
under field 034:

aadcg
     Australian Antarctic Data Centre Antarctic Gazetteer (Australian Antarctic
Data Centre)

acgms
     Atlas of Canada Gazetteer Map Service (Natural Resources Canada)

ahcb
     Atlas of Historical County Boundaries (Newberry Library)

bcgnis
     BC Geographical Names Information System (BCGNIS) (Government of British
Columbia)

cbf
     Cartographic Boundary Files (U.S. Census Bureau)

ccga
     Cadre de classement geographique actuel (Paris: Bibliotheque Nationale)

cga
     Composite Gazetteer of Antarctica (Scientific Committee on Antarctic
Research (SCAR))

cgndb
     Canadian Geographical Names Database (Natural Resources Canada)

cgotw
     Columbia Gazetteer of the World (Columbia University Press)

esriarc
     ESRI ArcView

gbos
     Ordnance Survey (Great Britain Ordnance Survey)

geoapn
     GeoScience Australia Place Names (Geoscience Australia)

geonames
     GeoNames

geonet
     NGA GEOnet Names Server (GNS) (National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency)

gettytgn
     Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names Online (J. Paul Getty Trust)

gnis
     Geographic Names Information System (GNIS) (United States Geological
Survey, Board on Geographic Names)

gnrnsw
     Geographical Names Register of NSW (New South Wales Government)

goj
     Gazetteer of Japan (Geographical Survey Institute, and the Hydrographic
and
Oceanographic Department of the Japan Coast Guard)

gooearth
     Google Earth

gufn
     GEBCO Gazetteer of Undersea Feature Names (General Bathymetric Chart of
the
Oceans (GEBCO))

knab
     Kohanimeandmebaas (KNAB) (Eesti Keele Instituut)

lwip
     Ramsar List of Wetlands of International Importance (Ramsar)

mwgd
     Merriam-Webster's Geographical Dictionary (Springfield, MA:
Merriam-Webster, Inc.)

natmap
     The National Map-Boundaries (USGS) (U.S. Geological Survey)

nsgn
     Nova Scotia Geographical Names (Province of Nova Scotia)

nzggn
     New Zealand gazetteer of official geographic names (New Zealand Geographic
Board Nga- Pou Taunaha o Aotearoa (NZGB))

peakbag
     Peakbagger.com

pnosa
     PlaceNames Online: South Australian State Gazetteer (Government of South
Australia, Department for Transport, Energy and Infrastructure)

pwme
     Peakware World Mountain Encyclopedia (Peakware)

rsd
     Ramsar Sites Database (Ramsar)

sagns
     South African Geographical Names System (South African Department of Arts
and Culture)

volwrld
     Volcano World (Oregon Space Grant Consortium)

vow
     Volcanoes of the World

wdpa
     World Database on Protected Areas (World Commission on Protected Areas)

whl
     World Heritage List (UNESCO)

wld
     World Lakes Database (International Lake Environment Committee)

other
     Other (A source other than one for which a unique code has been
established)

If you have a need for a code for some other source, it can be requested
from LC Network Development and MARC Standards Office.  Please note that
for the time being, we are only putting 034 fields into geographic NAME
authority records.  Hopefully at some point in the future we can include
them also in subject authority records for geographic features.

If you want to see some real life examples:

no2009199881  Chatrud (Iran)

no2009137030  Grayland (Wash.)

no2009137029  Tokeland (Wash.)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^