Dear Yossi and Colleagues,

The revised Subject Headings Manual (SHM) in Cataloger's Desktop still
includes H 362, which provides the following instruction:

1.  Formulating headings.  Formulate and assign the following types of
phrase headings without submitting proposals to establish them in the
subject authority file...

 [name of city] Region ([geographic qualifier]).  Example:
651 #0 $a Dallas Region (Tex.)

Note that the name of the city should be established in the name
authority file.

Therefore, the string "Beersheba Region (Israel)" may be assigned as a
subject without establishing it in LCSH.

As Roger notes, further explanation is provided in SHM H 790, where the
following is stated, "Construct free-floating headings for city regions
by inserting the word Region between an established city name and its
geographic qualifier."  The memo specifies "free-floating headings,"
inidcating that such headings do not need to be established editorially
in LCSH.

Please let me know if further clarification is needed.

Happy new year!
Lenore

Lenore Bell
Israel & Judaica Section / Asian & Middle Eastern Division / Library of
Congress
(202) 707-7313 / l...@loc.gov

>>> "Roger Kohn" <r...@loc.gov> 1/4/2010 4:19 PM >>>
---

Yossi:

Happy New Year:

Thanks for bringing up the subject. It is confusing, IMHO.

I found in the index to SCM

       Constructing headings with the free-floating term [ . . . ]
Region: H 362 (2-3), H 760

but memo H362 does not exist anymore in CatDesktop. I assume that it
is
replaced by:

SHM: Subject Headings Manual   —   Geographic Headings and
Subdivisions   —   H 790 Areas Associated with Cities
who has:

3.  City regions.
a.  Construction of headings.  Construct free-floating headings for
city regions by inserting the word Region between an established city
name and its geographic qualifier.  Example:
151 ## $a Pensacola (Fla.)
651 #0 $a Pensacola Region (Fla.)

which still permit the practice as free-floater.

The 21st edition of _Free-floating subdivisions_ does not have a
free-floater for region, but has one for regions (plural form).

A colleague of mine, cd05, created sh 96000808 "Elot Region (Israel)"
in 1996, and there is a parallel class for it:
DS110.E47 Elot Region.

We may want to contact PSD directly to clarify the issue. I am
inclined
to believe that the subject needs now to be proposed and is not a
free-floater anymore. But you don't have to take my word for it...
(and
you should not!)

Hope this helps,

- r.

Roger Kohn

 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
"Opinions expressed are those of the author, and are not official
statements by the Library of Congress."

>>> Joseph Galron-Goldschlaeger <galro...@osu.edu> 1/4/2010 3:27:21 PM

Question: Is it Kosher to add  "Region" to any geographic place name?
For example: I have a book that deals with military camps around Beer
Sheva.
Can I use "Bersheba Region (Israel)"? Do I need to establish the
heading in
the Subject Authority File?

Yossi

Joseph (Yossi) Galron-Goldschlaeger
Head, Hebraica & Jewish Studies  Library
355A Thompson Memorial Library
The Ohio State University Libraries
1858 Neil Ave. Mall
Columbus, Ohio 43210 USA
E-Mail: galro...@osu.edu  or jgal...@gmail.com
Tel.: (614) 292-3362,  Fax: (614)292-1918
Lexicon of Modern Hebrew Literature:
http://hebrewlit.notlong.com