From: "Heidi G Lerner" <ler...@stanford.edu>
To: "v freedman" <v.freed...@ucl.ac.uk>
Cc: "heb-naco" <heb-naco@lists.acs.ohio-state.edu>
Sent: Friday, March 5, 2010 7:47:22 AM GMT -08:00 US/Canada Pacific
Subject: Re: [ha-Safran]: Cataloguing Judaeo-German

Dear Vanessa,

I will attempt to respond to the best of my knowledge to your query below. I am
cc'ing the Heb-NACO list because that list includes the most active community
in the U.S/Canada of Hebraica catalogers who adhere to AACR2rev., ALA/LC
romanization tables ... [et al.].

The answer to your first question is that we would use the MARC language code
for German [ger] and include a 546 note that something like " In German [in
Hebrew characters]."

That being said, there has been no "official" statement on how to handle the
vocalization but I am including the text of some guielines that were sent in an
e-mail to the Heb-NACO group by Joan Biella (LC) in 1998 for romanizing
languages other than Hebrew that are written in Hebrwew script. This was
written as a response to a query re Ladino (before the establishment of an
ALA/LC romaniztaion table) but I think that they would apply to works writteh
in German in Hebrew characters as well. 1998:

In romanizing languages other than Hebrew which are written in the Hebrew
script, LC practice is always to romanize the consonants as Hebrew and
represent the vowels as much as possible (given the limitations of the
Hebrew script) like those of the language being romanized.  Thus, we
romanize the surname tet-vav-lamed-yod-dalet-alef-nun-vav as Toledano, not
Tolidano.  A convenient way of defining a "consonant" is as a character
that appears when the text is unvocalized, and "he" meets this criterion.
So in LC romanization of Ladino, he is romanized as h.  The CSB is a
pretty good guide to LC practice :-).
                                                               Joan

I am sure that other Hebraica catalogers have thoughts as well on this issue.

Sincerely, Heidi Lerner

p.s. In case you have not seen it, there is a document at the Hebrew Naco
Funnel website that offers suggestions on how to distinguish Yiddish texts from
those in Hebrew characters.