Dear friends,

This kind of question comes up regularly--probably with all romanized
languages with a policy of following the advice of a particular,
"authoritative" dictionary.  There are two choices:  (1) advise catalogers
to follow the dictionary slavishly, adding additional access (246s and the
like) with other likely romanizations; or (2) create a list of "exceptions"
to the rule of following the dictionary.  At least when I was an active
cataloger, Hebrew followed the first option, Arabic the second.  There is a
list of approved Arabic romanizations which contradict the dictionary, and
catalogers must be aware of it and of the need to check it regularly.

The policy of following the dictionary slavishly, even when what it
suggests is ridiculous, standardizes the process of cataloging and the
process of searching--catalogers know that if they search the
dictionary-approved spelling, they will find all instances of the word they
want (in theory, anyway).  Of course the patrons don't know what the
dictionary says and why they don't find what they're looking for--hence the
need for alternative access points.  Patrons also won't know what
non-dictionary form catalogers have chosen (if they follow Option 2 above),
so they'll always be at sea unless alternative access is provided.

Neither system is foolproof or easy.  At least Option 1 makes life easier
for catalogers.  Option 2 leads to a free-for-all.

I don't see how we can please everybody, except by giving lots and lots of
246s.  So give them!

My two agorot.

Joan Biella