On Thu, 6 Nov 2014 09:30:48 -0500
Tom Cameron <tcame...@dyn.com> wrote:

> But, I suspect the
> cost of disassembling packets is higher than the math you're going to do.
> This is made more true by the fact that you need shared (locked) structures
> for your counts.

i was thinking of having N workers, where every worker is responsible for a
certain subset of the key space.
e.g. using consistent hashing, the processing for all metric lines relating to
an individual key requires no outside data.
But at the same time, I think you're right that reading from UDP is the slowest
aspect (which still surprises me) so this optimization would probably be
pointless.

> Were these connections to be TCP, there would be more value. But since it's
> UDP, which has no concept of a stream, I suspect it'll be a mostly wasted
> effort.

hmm, what do you mean with this? are udp packets slower to process than tcp?
how so?
i thought reassembling a tcp stream was more expensive.

> Better to speed up the net library than try to distribute the work
> and potentially have to drag a SK_buf across NUMA nodes.

do you mean that the golang net library could be made more performant?

thanks,
Dieter