Hi!

I have been looking all through the documentation and source code to see if
I could find a way to throttle email sending.

I have a simple setup, where I have a simple matcher for severity <= 3 like
this:

[RstEncoder]

[ErrorAlert]
type = "SmtpOutput"
message_matcher = "Severity <= 3"
send_from = "h...@xxx.com <h...@branderbirkedal.com>"
send_to = ["klausp...@xxx.com <klausp...@gmail.com>"]
auth = "none"
host = "xxx.com:25"
encoder = "RstEncoder"

However, there is the issue that if something goes wrong, various
subsystems like syslog, individual applications start spewing out errors at
a steady rate, often resulting in thousands of mails being sent.

Is there a way to limit the number of emails with configuration or does
anyone have a lua script that can do this?

Also, thanks for the great work on heka!

Regards, Klaus Post

http://www.klauspost.com