I'd be open to changing that to a configurable setting.

-r

On 01/12/2016 01:11 AM, Eric LEMOINE wrote:
On Tue, Jan 12, 2016 at 9:30 AM, Eric LEMOINE <elemo...@mirantis.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> This is to report what may be an issue in Heka, where Heka consumes
> CPU while there's nothing to do.
>
> My test-case is the following: LogStreamer with an rsyslog.lua decoder
> reading logs from a number of static log files. After having processed
> all the logs (from all the files) Heka still consumes CPU.
>
> On my 8-core laptop, with 500 static log file, Heka consumes 400% CPU
> while processing the logs, which is expected given that I set max_proc
> to 4 in heka.conf. BUT it still consumes 25% of CPU after having
> processed all the logs, and this for ever. The more log files to be
> processed the more consumed by Heka. So this is related to the number
> of decoders Heka creates.
>
> Is this expected? Is this a bug in Heka.
>
> My test-case is here <https://github.com/elemoine/heka-cpu>, with
> instructions on how to reproduce the problem.
>
> Thanks!
>
> PS: I'm happy to create a GitHub issue if you think it's appropriate.

We figured the issue is related to the "check for more data interval"
which is hard-coded to 250ms in the code [*]. So that value might not
be appropriate when there are many log files to watch. 500 log files
may not correspond to a realistic scenario. With 100 log files, which
does sounds realistic to me, Heka still consumes about 8% of CPU on my
8-core laptop. Maybe 250ms is a bit too aggressive as a default value.

Thoughts?

[*]
<https://github.com/mozilla-services/heka/blob/dev/plugins/logstreamer/logstreamer_input.go#L297>