Hi

We're running into a situation where Heka reports about "idle packs"
and is "wedged". See the Heka diagnostics in
<https://gist.github.com/elemoine/f533f674c514406fb6a320bd034d2568>.

So the inject and input recycle channels are empty – no free packs.
And the http_metrics_filter sandbox is blocked in an inject_message()
call waiting for a free inject pack.

We read other threads [*] discussing similar issues, but our case may
be a bit different. The http_metrics_fliter gets messages from
logstreamer inputs, and it injects messages that will be consumed by
the influxdb_accumulator_filter. I think our case is different because
the upstream filter (http_metrics_fliter), as opposed to the
downstream filter (influxdb_accumulator_filter), is blocked. How can
this be possible?

And I really wonder where the inject packs are! The inject recycle
channel is empty, so who holds the inject packs? There are 30 idle
inject packs attributed to the influxdb_accumulator_filter, although
that filter's match channel length is 0 (so is its input channel
length). So I do not understand how this sandbox filter can have idle
packs! And where are the remaining 70 inject packs? Any idea?

In case this is relevant: we use buffering for the output plugins
(with full_action drop), and no buffering for the filters.

This is blocking us big time. Any insight is welcome. Thanks!

[*] <https://mail.mozilla.org/pipermail/heka/2015-May/000586.html>