> Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2024 14:02:32 +0000
> From: gnu.panda...@passmail.net
>
> I downloaded GNU Emacs for Windows from here:
> https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/download.html#nonfree
>
> Some of my favorite dired​ commands do not work. The errors mention commands
> that Emacs would find in
> the system if it were running on, say, Linux (eg: find, xargs, ls). For
> example, I can't mark files and search for a
> string (`dired-do-find-regexp`). I can't run find-name-dired​. To get past
> that, I set the variable
> find-program​ to point to a binary that came with Git, but then it fails
> again because there is no ls​.
>
> Am I supposed to also install Cygwin or something like that, to provide these
> Unix commands to Emacs? It
> seems strange to me that there was no mention of this on the download page.
> Maybe it's just a few dired
> commands and I notice because I like to use them.

You may need to download GNU Findutils and GNU Coreutils to have the
commands you are accustomed to.  I thought some of them are part of
the Emacs binary distribution for Windows, but maybe not.  Be sure to
download Emacs "with dependencies", not without them.

If you need to download those additional packages, you will find the
MinGW64 ports of them on the MSYS2 site.