Hi all,

Following up from the "Emacs 31.1 Windows build has virus?" thread on
help-gnu-emacs, for those who look here for news on the Windows port.

There are some new binaries: emacs-31.1_1, on FTP. They remove native
compilation support and clean up the build flags to -O2, and they add back
the sha256sums.txt component to the uploaded group. See:

https://www.google.com/url?q=https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/windows/emacs-31/?C%3DM;O%3DD&source=gmail&ust=1790187707558000&sa=E

The README is replaced: it notes that AV tripping from 31.1 is known to be
happening, points people to the list and the bug tracker, and gives two
formulas for verifying SHA256, neither needing more tools on Windows.

None of my forensic approaches have suggested anything to be done. I cannot
see differences between the sources and the binary result that look other
than symbol drift over compile. We may learn whether the native compilation
feature is more or less of a contributor. I'll keep looking as I can think
of new things to try; I'm open to ideas.

I also applied for a free code signing certificate from SignPath.org. If it
is granted, that may silence warnings related specifically to the unsigned
self-installer (made with NSIS), which people regularly hit even before
native-comp existed.

Which file to use: the installer is the "try first" answer for most people,
and the README recommends it. The full zip remains there for those who
can't install to Program Files.

Thanks to all who've been reporting/contributing
experience/suggestions/etc. discussing.

happy hacking,
Corwin

Reply via email to