Hello,

rk2imp (among other implicit methods) in ode-initval2 uses a modified Newton iteration instead of old functional iteration in solving the system of non-linear equations. E.g. for stiff problems Newton iteration is quite more powerful. Because of that, the ODE-solver can use larger step sizes. Newton iteration converges with larger step sizes, while functional iteration does not.