I'm not too familiar with the multimin algorithms, but it may be similar
to the nonlinear least squares code, which does implement a
finite-difference Jacobian. Have a look at multifit_nlinear/fdjac.c and
the corresponding documentation here:

http://www.gnu.org/software/gsl/doc/html/nls.html#c.gsl_multifit_nlinear_fdtype

Hope this helps,
Patrick