>I would love to see something closer to an event triggered service than
>forking once and forgetting.
You can use shepherd and herd commands (without sudo).
For example:
$ shepherd [-c config.scm]
$ herd status

Then configure your `config.scm` as you like. As a default shepherd will use
`$XDG_CONFIG_HOME/shepherd/init.scm`, and if the variable is not set then
`$HOME/.config/shepherd/init.scm`.

>It would be awesome if the Guix System could provide a way to configure these
>declaratively, too.
That can be done by generating a text-file in store containing the desired
config then symbolic linking it to `$HOME.config/shepherd/init.scm`. This all
can be done using guix daemon(declaratively).

Though I am not sure how you can 'autostart' the service at boot time and
declaratively?

Cheers
amar