Am Sun, May 19, 2024 at 10:38:28PM +0300 schrieb André A. Gomes:
> Nigko Yerden <nigko.yer...@gmail.com> writes:
> > Hello Guix!
> > Shouldn't 'guix pull' substitutes also work on foreign distros?
> I'd like to re-iterate the question.  I have been using the Guix system
> for years but lately I'm also using it as a package manager.  It is
> rather off-putting that guix pull will take more than 20 minutes in this
> setting.  Newcomers will probably start by using it a package manager
> and only then commit to the system.

I have no answer, but can confirm the problem and state that it is not
related to using Guix as a package manager or as a full system. In both
cases "guix pull" should do the same thing.

However, I am also surprised by the following behaviour: I have three users
on my Guix system, and always do three "guix pull --commit=..." on the same
commit for all of them. It happens that the second or third user compiles
derivations that I would expect to be in the store already. I do not know
what the differences are. Someone suggested to me it could be related to
channels. Apparently, using a different set of channels leads to different
derivations. But last week it has also happened for my two users with only
the main channel.

Andreas