> I'd like to know if it is possible  to create a cdrom with hurd on it so
> that it can boot  and you can use it without having  to install it. I've
> done it with linux,  I'd like to know if it is possible  (and how) to do
> it with hurd.

There is one main problem with this:  the iso9660 filesystem is broken
(at the moment) and does not support symbolic links.

Additionally, I do not remember grub ever recognizing my cdrom (which is
not to say that it doesn't).

Anyways, assuming the two above work, you will need to compile iso9660
static so that it can manage the root partition.  Additionally, you will
need to create a small iso9660 library much like the one for ext2 that
serverboot can use to read the server off of the partition before the
root partition is mounted.

If you get this far, I imagine that you are 90% the way there.

-Neal

--
Neal H Walfield
University of Massachusetts at Lowell