Are there any way of specifying the following:
if there is a dependency between a target with  suffix '.a'
and a source file with suffix '.b',
then process the source file with a specific tool.
The problem is that I can't use pattern rules of the form
%.a : %.b
    atool $<
The reason I can't use this construct is that the output file name is specified by a rule in the grammar of the input file, rather than being implied by the name of the input file.

The method I am currently using is to use a small perl script to generate a make include file.
That file can be specified via a pattern rule.

"Home is not where you are born, but where your heart finds peace" -
Tommy Nordgren, "The dying old crone"