Perfect answer.
Thanks

Francis Belliveau
Consultant
Lincoln Laboratory, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
244 Wood Street
Lexington, MA 02421-6426

On 6/26/24, 09:39, "Renaud Pacalet" <renaud.paca...@telecom-paris.fr> wrote:

On 6/25/24 18:03, Belliveau, Fran - 0666 - MITLL wrote:

> I have a setup where I use include directives to access makefile content
> used by multiple “make” situations throughout a large project.

> As I try to replace a bunch of (heavily simplified) things like:

> FOO_DIR?=fd

> BAH_DIR?=bd

> ####

> $(FOO_DIR)/foo: $(F_HDRS)

> mkdir -p $(FOO_DIR)

> genF $@

> $(BAH_DIR)/foo: $(B_HDRS)

> mkdir -p $(BAH_DIR)

> genB $@

> with a something like

> ####

> $(FOO_DIR) $(BAH_DIR):

> mkdir -p $@

> $(FOO_DIR)/foo: $(HDRS) | $(FOO_DIR)

> gen $@

> $(BAH_DIR)/bah: $(B_HDRS) | $(BAH_DIR)

> genB $@

> I run into “make complaints” when multiple directory variables actually point
> to the same directory.

> This may just be a warning, but it looks like an error to those who do not
> know what is going on.

> I am wondering if there is a way to suppress this with a directive of some
> sort?

> Is there a function call I might be able to make like $(unique $(FOO_DIR)
> $(BAH_DIR)): ?

$(sort $(FOO_DIR) $(BAH_DIR)); it sorts (in your case you don't care) and
removes duplicates.

--

Renaud Pacalet

Télécom Paris

Campus SophiaTech

450 Route des Chappes, CS 50193

06904 Biot Sophia Antipolis cedex, FRANCE

Tel : +33 (0) 4 9300 8402

Web : http://www.telecom-paris.fr/ <http://www.telecom-paris.fr/>