> On Mon, Feb 05, 2024 at 02:48:15PM +0000,
> ralphli...@hotmail.com wrote:
> > To whom it might concern:
> >
> >     I have some problems on translating the Emacs manual, a
> > texinfo document, to Chinese.
> >
> >     Specifically, when I use the following command:
> >
> >     texi2pdf emacs.texi -o emacs.pdf
> >
> >     I have following errors:
> >
> >     Unicode char @u8:找 not defined for Texinfo
> >
> >     Where "找" is a Chinese character.
> >
> >     And outputing the documentation in plain text and HTML
> >     works(theoretically also info), but
> >     not for everything TeX.
>
> You need the special support file texinfo-zh.tex that comes with
> Texinfo;
> moreover you cannot process your source files with regular
> pdfetex.  You
> have to use XeTeX.  Rather than the first line of the file being
>
> \input texinfo
>
> you must, instead, write
>
> \input texinfo-zh
>
> As well as XeTeX, you may need to install some other packages
> for
> TeX (zhspacing.sty).
>
> Some manuals have been translated into Japanese which is
> supported the
> same way, except it uses texinfo-ja.tex instead of texinfo-
> zh.tex.
> These files are distributed as part of Texinfo.
>

> >     and I also added following in emacs.texi:
> >
> >     @documentencoding UTF-8
> >     @documentlanguage zh_CN
>
> That should be ok.
>
> >     Also I translated txi-en.tex in the Emacs source file to
> > Chinese as
> >     txi-zh_CN.tex and it is included in the directory of the
> > maunual. A
> >     brief description is included in the file:
> >
> >     "This is read when a source document says
> > @documentlanguage zh_CN."
> >
> >     but the above output appeared for every Chinese character.
>

> >     I tried to read the info manual and found out that using a
> > unicode
> >     letter requires the use of "@u8{HEX}", which is not the
> > way to go.
> >
> >     The texinf-ja.tex probably has the answer...
>
> I don't know what that file refers to - there is a file
> "texinfo-ja.tex"
> but you need to use "texinfo-zh.tex".

> There is already a translation of txi-en.tex, txi-zh.tex, that
> comes with
> Texinfo.

As you just said, I checked the texinfo source code, and the "txi-
zh" and "texinfo-zh" do exist, but not for the texinfo v6.8 that
I'm currently using.

I added those files into the documentation source;

and I run the texi2any command with argument "--pdf", it complains
about the lack of XeTeX.

My machine has XeTeX installed alongside TeX Live, but I don't
know how to set it up as the default TeX engine.

Thanks.

--
Ralph Lin <ralphli...@hotmail.com>