I got the same issue when trying to upload an background image to the
app. I was trying to upload the image file rather than an tarball with
application directories.
I was guessing that I might be able to move the file to the public/
images folder after I finished uploading.

My app name http://jrdaily.heroku.com

Can you help me to have a look?

Thanks,

Frank