You can also have a development branch and push it to heroku. The app
in production is tied to the master branch, so commit/push to the dev
branch and once you're happy, merge with master and push to see it in
production.

Something like this

git branch dev
git checkout dev
...make changes...
git commit -a
git push origin dev

BTW github is giving away a free month for it's paid accounts, highly
recommend you try it

http://github.com/blog/247-cyber-monday-sale