Thanks for the feedback Keenan,
I am running in development mode. I figured that it was because I was
updating a stylesheet that was imported from the stylesheet that was
linked from the layout file, but even when I update this file, the CSS
doesn't update, so there still seems to be some sort of problem that
is infuriating!

Thanks for the idea of using content_for - I'll use that in future,
but it would be nice to know how to get the external css files to have
a more instant effect.

cheers,

DAZ