Hi Chris,

If you're developing apps for clients you should absolutely migrate to
Heroku.com. That's where you'll get a stable and high-performance
platform for production use, and that's where you'll see new features
deployed in the near term.

As Justin correctly points out, S3 is an excellent solution for asset
storage. It's not only good practice to separate asset storage from
your application code  - it's also necessary to be able to scale
fluidly in a cloud computing environment. That's one of the reasons
we're explicitly enforcing this pattern through our read-only file
system. Btw, I'd advise taking a look at the ELC plugin here:
http://ruby.dzone.com/news/rails-gmail-simple-email-deliv
. It's very neat in that it does _direct_ upload to S3 without even
hitting your web app. Quite nifty indeed.

With regards to email, you will have to request a blessing. Just go to
the "Other" tab of your settings page and fill out the form. It's
really just a precautionary measure to prevent abuse. Once you have
the blessing, you can easily configure your Heroku app to connect to
an external SMTP service. If you're just looking to test, I'd
recommend trying with GMail since it's free. Good instructions can be
found here: http://ruby.dzone.com/news/rails-gmail-simple-email-deliv.
If you're looking to shoot out significant volumes of email, look into
authsmtp.com. That's what we use for our email-sending needs here at
Heroku.

As always, if you have anything in detail you'd like to discuss about
your app - feel free to email me directly.

Best,

/Morten