Is your connection to S3 set up as "persistent" (the default)?

I read:

    * :persistent - Whether to use a persistent connection to the
server. Having this on provides around a two fold performance increase
but for long running processes some firewalls may find the long lived
connection suspicious and close the connection. If you run into
connection errors, try setting :persistent to false. Defaults to
true.