I got this same error trying to migrate from the garden to heroku.com
following instructions here: http://herokugarden.com/transition/move

Using the heroku 1.0 gem in my project dir that was cloned from
herokugarden...

$ heroku create
Created http://radiant-frost-42.heroku.com/ | g...@heroku.com:radiant-
frost-42.git
Git remote heroku added
$ git push heroku master
Permission denied (publickey).
$

I haven't seen a place to upload a public key on heroku.com either.

Thanks for any help!