Good point Richard, if we have to handle it ourselves I think it
deserves a little mention in the docs.

I assume that most people are use to capistrano which had a "cap
deploy:migrations" command that would run the migrations before
symlinking the new code. (Although I never personally tested it.)

Maybe heroku needs needs a similar command that would run the
migrations before updating the code?