This is often another LoadError masking as this error.

Try the following:

gem install open_gem
gem open heroku

Navigate to lib/heroku/commands/db.rb

Change the following two lines:

rescue LoadError
  error "Install the Taps gem to use db commands. On most systems this will
be:\nsudo gem install taps"

to:

rescue LoadError => ex
  puts ex.inspect
  error "Install the Taps gem to use db commands. On most systems this will
be:\nsudo gem install taps"

and try to rerun. This should give you some more visibility into what is
failing.

Hope this helps!
David