Maybe I'm missing something and I'm not an SSL expert, but couldn't
Heroku allow customers to purchase more than one IP for an SSL
instance?  Then they could apply multiple domains without a multi-
domain cert and without constantly having to keep applying/managing a
single cert when it's changed.  The customer would obviously need to
make sure to keep the traffic low, as Morten points out.   There would
be an expense for the IP, but that should be much lower than a
dedicated instance.

I'm sure there are technical hurdles, but he custom SSL issue is a hot
topic as evidenced by the length of this thread/similar ones.  Also,
I've had a number of conversations with different developers and when
the topic turns to heroku they say "Great platform, but did you hear
SSL costs $100/month?"

-Kelly